This is a significant event in our Marist calendar as we celebrate the feast day of our founder St Marcellin Champagnat. The day commenced with a celebration of the Eucharist in The Hermitage for all students, staff and parents. As one of 52 Marist schools across Australia, the Feast Day of St Marcellin Champagnat is an opportunity for all members of our College community to gather, give thanks, and to celebrate our shared Marist identity. Immediately after the mass we announced the winners of this year’s Champagnat Awards (see list below). The recipients of these awards consistently demonstrate and live our Marist values of simplicity, presence, hard work, family spirit all in the way of Mary.
After the formalities of the Mass and Awards ceremony, a special day of celebration was given over to students and staff providing lots of great food to eat, and many, many activities in which all were invited to participate. One of the highlights of the fete was definitely the dunk tank! Staff who volunteered to be dunked were auctioned off the day prior, with the highest amount given, quite rightly, to Mr Blake, the Principal. He was ceremoniously dunked in full suit and replete with a bow tie to the delight of the boys! Thanks for his good grace and sense of humour – the student body certainly loved it!
Following the food and merriment was a fascinating question and answer session held in the Hermitage, where our special Marist Brother guests spoke about their time at the school as Principals or teachers, and about being a Marist Brother in general. It was great to get historical insight from those who were here in the past, one from the very first day in 1961!
Much gratitude to Miss De Souza, our tireless Religious Education Coordinator, for putting this great celebration of being Marist together.
Congratulations to this year's Champagnat Award recipients:
- Rylan Benito Year 8 Madigan 5
- Oliver Byrne Year 9 Houston 6
- James Cavallaro Year 11 Hayes 2
- Joshua Fernandez Year 8 Madigan 1
- Connor Flack Year 7 Aitken 1
- Patrick Ghazal Year 9 Madigan 1
- Brendan Grouse Year 12 Madigan 3
- Connor Grouse Year 10 Madigan 4
- Ignatius Gunawan Year 12 Hayes 6
- Elias Hanoun Year 12 Aitken 7
- Archie Hayward Year 7 Madigan 3
- Mitchell Heywood Year 10 Houston 5
- Monte Hughes Year 8 Aitken 7
- Shaelem Lolesi Year 11 Hayes 5
- Mathew Newman Year 10 Hayes 4
- Matthew Sheldon Year 7 Houston 4
- James Thio Year 12 Madigan 3
- Christopher Winkle Year 9 Madigan 2
- Dominic Winkle Year 11 Madigan 2
Year 12 Recipient: Ignatius Gunawan
Community Recipient: Mr Grant Dooner
See more of the action throughout this very special day on Youtube by clicking this link.